Friday 26 April 2013

Final Front Cover

This is my final front cover. As you can see I have more or less completely changed it and I am now incredibly happy with it.
The first thing I did was change the background photo. Now when you look at my magazine it is obvious what music genre it is focussed on. I enlarged the photo and placed her head in between the 'M' and 'P' to give it more of an edge.
I decided to call my magazine 'AMP', short for amplify, as it connotes loud, heavy music which is the main element of rock. It is a short, catchy name and will stick in people's minds. I enlarged the font so that it stands out and will be one of the first things my target audience sees when they pick up the magazine. I edited the character spacing to make it fill the top part of my magazine and having it spaced out adds a new dimension to the cover. I changed the colour of the 'M' to red as it makes it look more appealing and it stops the cover from looking too bland.
The main article of my magazine is to do with my model Bethaney, so it was essential that I put this on the front cover. I put 'World Exclusive' at the top which will automatically grab the readers' attention as by purchasing the magazine they will be receiving an interview that no one else is. My choice of phrase, 'SHE'S BACK WITH A BANG' will entice the reader as the article sounds exciting. I changed the character spacing of the phrase, bringing it closer together, to make it look more interesting and it gives my magazine a bit of a rockier feel.
I added two bursts to my cover to give the reader an insight into what else they can expect from the magazine. They are clearly labelled with the name of the band in the photo and also a short sentence giving the reader an idea of what the article will be about. I chose to put the text in blocks so it makes my magazine look cleaner.
I used six different fonts on my cover to make sure it didn't come across as bland and uninteresting. Although six is a lot of fonts I feel it works well on my cover as they fit in with the genre. For the bursts I kept the fonts the same for both so that it didn't confuse the reader too much. Also, as they are both bursts it would make sense to keep the fonts the same.
I followed a 3 colour colour scheme, using red, white and black, all of which are typically associated with rock. The colours work well on my cover, helping to make it look attractive and exciting. I chose a vibrant red so that it stands out and draws the eye. As the background itself is very dark I chose to stick to white font text for the majority of it so that it can be seen. I used red and white for the blocks to make it look more creative and to make it easier to read.
Overall, I'm thrilled with my front cover. After my draft, a very bad attempt at a minimalistic magazine, I feel that this actually looks like a proper music magazine that you would see available in shops. I think I've managed to tie everything together to give it a professional finish.

No comments:

Post a Comment