Tuesday 16 April 2013

Front Cover - Rough Draft


This is the rough draft for my magazine front cover. I used a photo of the band Don Broco as I haven't taken my own photos yet and they are a band who fit into my chosen genre.
I chose to stick to a 3-colour colour scheme as I feel that it makes the magazine look more clean cut. I chose to use black, white and red as they are colours that work well together. The red makes the text stand out, therefore drawing attention towards the magazine.
I haven't chosen a name or tagline for my magazine yet. In order to give me an idea of spacing on the cover I needed something to fill the gaps so I chose to simply put 'Masthead' and 'Tagline'. This then gave me something to work with and work around.
The callout "We're not your average band" is not in the font I wanted to use as during the changeover from a document into a photo form to be uploaded the font didn't sync properly and therefore changed. I chose to use this sentence for my callout as I believe that it is interesting and will make the reader query what is being asked in the interview in order to receive that response, so they will want to buy my magazine.
I also changed the character and line spacing of my text. I changed the character spacing by bringing the callout text closer together and spaced out my masthead and tagline to fill the space they were in. I then went on to adjust the line spacing and bring the band name, "Don Broco", closer to the quote in the callout. I feel that this has given the magazine a new dimension as it has made it different and more interesting to the eye and therefore it would stand out against other magazines.
I hope my magazine's overall look will achieve a combination of Q magazine and Ray Gun. Although originally I wanted to base it on Q magazine, after deconstructing Ray Gun I was attracted to its simplistic style. I aim to use elements such as a callout and sharper colour scheme which would commonly be found in Q magazine and then mix them with Ray Gun's very simplistic, basic style to give my magazine a clean finish with a bit of an edge.

No comments:

Post a Comment