Tuesday 16 April 2013

Location Ideas

In order to help me decide on possible locations for my photos to be taken I looked at photos of current bands that fit into my genre such as Arctic Monkeys, Don Broco and The Kooks to see where they have had band photos taken and if there is a common trend amongst the genre. 
The most popular locations were:


  • Park
  • Outside 
  • Plain wall/background/door
  • Living room
  • Bench
  • Performing
  • Field
  • Abandoned/industrial type estate

Although I like the idea of taking some of my photos in similar locations I don’t feel that a location such as a field would work well for my magazine, seeing as it is an alternative/indie rock magazine, and a field is hardly something you associate with a rock ‘n’ roll lifestyle. I like the idea of having a plain background, as I can edit the photo into another location, or using an abandoned type location as I think it would fit in with the style of my magazine well. Even though I don't want to use a field I like the idea of taking the photos outside as the lighting will enhance my photos. Therefore, if I then go on to take the background out of them in my edit the photos would still have a natural brightness to them.


I also found that a lot of the photos looked very posed and although this made some of the photos very effective it also made some of them look tacky and cliche of a typical band photo. 










I personally preferred the photos where they looked a lot more natural as they were doing their own thing. 






However, I need to keep in mind what will appeal to my target audience the most. Therefore, I am going to try and combine the two so that although the photo will obviously be posed it will look a lot more natural than other band photos.




No comments:

Post a Comment